Use a Utility Program to Scan Your Hard Drive and
Hard Drive Repair Software for Troubleshooting
Computer utilities monitor, control and provide computer benchmarks for your system. It's important to understand what the difference is between utilities (such as an inspection or monitoring utility) and application software (such as discount computer software or hard drive repair software) because the performance of your system can be optimized through a good understanding and through the knowledge of the benefits of each.
A utility is designed to help you define, measure, analyze, and if necessary, improve, and control your system.
Utilities are often technical in nature and usually require advanced knowledge.
However, those listed on this page are pretty basic and useful for all owners and operators.
The computer utilities listed below are free and can be used for performance monitoring and for help with troubleshooting: (Note: if you have a specific utility that you prefer that is not listed here, send us the referral via the contact us form on this site and we'll review it.)
- To find out what is inside your computer without opening it.
- To help control and monitor temperatures inside your computer.
- To provide computer benchmarks for your system.
Computer Inspection Utilities
- CPUZ - http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
- CPUZ is one of the easiest computer utilities for inspecting your computer. You simply download it, and run it, no installation. CPUZ will tell you details on your CPU, Motherboard, and Memory. This will include names, speeds, model numbers, and settings.
- HWMonitor - http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
- If you are planning on doing any sort of overclocking to your computer, or if you simply want more details, try HWMonitor. This program will give you information on your computer's health; including voltages, temperatures, and fan speeds.
- Spacemonger - http://www.sixty-five.cc/download/
- Spacemonger is a great little program that will show you visually what is on your hard drive. When you run it, it will take a few minutes to scan your drive, and show you what is all on there. It allows you to drill down into folders and see what they hold as well.
- Speedfan - http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
- Speed fan is great for monitoring temperatures and voltages of your CPU cores. If your hard drives are S.M.A.R.T. capable, this program will also monitor the temperatures of your hard drives.
- Motherboard Monitor - http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Motherboard-Monitor.shtml
- Motherboard Monitor connects up with the sensor chips on your motherboard to report voltages, temperatures and speeds.
Computer Benchmarks and Benchmarking
- SiSoft - SiSoft Sandra Lite (condensed this one as it is a very long link)
- SiSoft Sandra gives you a wide range of data about your system. From BIOS to hardware details in easy-to-read formats. The benchmarks that you can run may then be compared to a huge database of scores. This is the Lite version, but is still full-featured.
- HD_Speed - http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20
- Need a utility to measure your hard drive and DVD drive speeds? This will do it. It will measure both the burst and sustained speeds.
Utilities software is different than application software, such as discount computer software, hard drive repair software, or graphic or video program software and more. Computer utilities will help you to operate your system more efficiently: helping you to manage, control, monitor, inspect and benchmark your computer.
Return to Computer Software from Computer Utilities
Or return to Build Your Own Computer Home Page.